THE PROCESS: BRANDING & IDENTITY




Branding and logo designs ALWAYS start with drawing. I like to quickly sketch and get ideas and compositions out on paper. After making several rough sketches, I focus on making comprehensive thumbnails. I find that this step is a good way to show clients exactly what you are trying to do. A lot of times it requires going back to the drawing board and re-working things from scratch. For me, I spend extra time on color and font choices and put in lots of thought about the client's audience to determine the best solution. Everybody has different needs so it's necessary to figure out how the logo will be used.

An important aspect of my process is to have immediate access to research material.  I always carry logo inspiration images on my phone (a PDF with 1000+ timeless logos) and in my home studio. I have several books filled with logo design references ranging from the early days of graphic design to current trends. I feel it's important to look at great logos and get ideas on why certain things work. Paying attention to things like the shape, typography and iconography is key. I determine a good logo by it's ability to used in a variety of spaces.