THE PROCESS: ORANGE COUNTY ZOO MAP




My first step for designing this was to research map designs. I found that most zoo maps used fun illustrations or simply showed a layout of the zoo. Most used cute and clean vector work of animals.

Designing my own layout style of the zoo was important. This was done by tracing out the original map that I got after visiting the zoo. Instead of using organic shapes from the original map, I created geometric shapes with sharp corners. I felt like this would give my map its own unique style while looking clean. Colored shapes were used differentiate sections.

I wanted it to have an aerial perspective so I printed out what I traced on cheap large format copy paper to use as the floor. I got inspired to use small model figures after seeing a project done by some of our alumni. They used Model train elements for a poster ad. I thought it would be easy to stage and photograph for a layout and then drop informational design on top.

As you can see, the idea worked pretty well. The difficulty was trying to get the right perspective while allowing enough room for the informational design elements. The information design was inspired by transit system map designs.