Feng Shui is an Chinese ancient art that was developed about 3,000 years ago. It is a detailed sum of knowledge that unveils how to balance the Chi (energy) of any given space to assure the health and positive vibrations for people living in it.
Let's break it down further.
Feng means
wind and
shui means
water. Feng Shui is based on the Taoist perspective of nature. In particular, the idea that the land is living and filled with Chi. The ancient Chinese believed that the land's Chi had a huge influence on their lives. The concepts of
yin and yang, as well as the five
feng shui elements (Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal & Water.) are some of the basic aspects that are derived from Taoism.
I was inspired to start practicing this art after I picked up this book:


In the past, many people have dismissed Feng Shui and labeled it "sorcery." Most of the criticism came from ethnocentric Westerners. I personally believe that organizing your living space to your needs by using Feng Shui principles can help one become more productive and reduces the stress of everyday life. Imagine all the negative energy built up when you lose something. A home designed using Feng Shui principles has a place for everything. The result = simplified organization, a more inviting space and a home full of free flowing Chi!

One of the most important practices of Feng Shui is reducing clutter. The concept is to focus on a specific area and ask yourself "do I really need this?" I quickly found myself with tons of stuff I could give away. Even with sentimental items, Feng Shui encourages us to set a deadline for our decision to let stuff go. I can't describe the feeling of letting go of things. Giving stuff away makes living space and allows the Chi to freely flow. It also creates an opening for something new.

I ended up putting a box labeled free stuff outside in the alley. Within 5 minutes, a man stumbles upon it. "One man's trash is another man's treasure" rings true when practicing Feng Shui. This is the part that I enjoyed the most. Watching my trash become valuable to another person. This won't be the last time I throw stuff away.
After a few days of bagging up trash, organizing boxes and realigning furniture, I could instantly feel the load of stress leaving my shoulders. Suddenly, the idea of convenience, productivity and openness convinces me that Chi is real!

Although there can still be areas in my home that aren't exactly Feng Shui, I can still live easier and always find new ways to apply the principles. Another practice includes moving stuff around so that the Chi is not allowed to stagnate.

I feel better already. Time to get to work...